October 2, 2007

The 1st Annual Shocktober Horrorfest!!!


Hello again! First off, I have to apologize for my incredibly long and unannounced absence from Direct Cinema. My last post was over one month ago on August 23 (wow, has it really been that long?!) and I sincerely apologize once again for leaving you all out in the cold so to speak. I have had quite a full plate apart from running this blog, and my other duties have kept me away from posting regularly. But fear not (bad pun I know, though quite intended), beginning today I am resuming my post at Direct Cinema, which means the return of regular, daily (and hopefully even more frequently than that) posting. And to kick things off, for the entire month of October, I, like many of my online colleagues, will be doing a Horrorthon. The title I have bestowed upon my marathon is the Shocktober Horrorfest. The concept is a simple one. Every day, from today until Halloween, I will watch and subsequently review a new horror film. These reviews will range anywhere from short capsule reviews to longer, in-depth studies, depending on how the film strikes me. I'll also be putting up a Horrorfest sidebar with easy access to every review in the series. I have been doing an annual October horror marathon for three years now (this will be the third) but this marks the first time I have ever blogged about it. It is my hope that those of you who read my blog will discover hidden gems, rediscover and revisit old classics, and if you don't already, come to appreciate horror films.

Now, just a few more words about myself before we begin. I have been a horror fanatic since the day I started watching film. It seems to run in my blood. My father enjoys the genre tremendously, whereas my mom abhors the genre, so I guess I know whose genes I inherited. There is something about horror, beyond its visceral, primal appeal, that separates it from every other genre. It is such a limitless genre. A genre with an intrinsically limitless potential to tell so many different stories, the potential to carry so many layers of subtextual, metaphorical and allegorical meaning. Yet, horror can also succeed without any of those things, with just a simple, uncomplicated heaping of blood and nudity. Horror is truly an onion, with so many different layers, and I invite you to come along with me as I attempt to peel away at it. So be sure to check in frequently for your daily dose of horror, and most importantly... Enjoy!

PS. Please feel free to comment on my reviews and get a discussion going. Also I will be taking any suggestions, so if you have a horror film you'd like to see reviewed, send it my way!

Shocktober Horrorfest '07
10/1:
The Serpent and the Rainbow
10/2:
The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane
Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural
10/3:
Freaks
10/4:
Poltergeist
10/5:
Carrie
10/7:
Tourist Trap
10/9:
Lady in White
10/10:
The Other
10/15:
Friday the 13th
10/17:
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
10/18:
April Fool's Day
Alice, Sweet Alice
10/19:
Night of the Living Dead
10/20:
Creep
10/21:
The Descent

No comments: